Filed under Features

Club Rush exceeds expectations

Clubs at Linden High School?!?! That’s right. We have Outdoor Adventure all the way to a Star Wars club. But I’m not here to talk about all the amazing clubs (like Journalism). I want to talk about the event that brought them all together.

Linden High School’s very own Club Rush took place last week, and the quad was full of eager students wanting to pursue their interests.

English teacher and Journalism adviser Kim Merenda was impressed by its success.

“I think it’s great that Mrs. Hunter and Mr. Esteves have taken the lead in helping students come together to form new campus groups for students to pursue their interests,” said Merenda.

I agree. I think we owe Mrs. Hunter and Mr. Esteves a BIG thank you for all the time and effort they put into making Club Rush a great experience for the whole student body.

Merenda was excited to see the Journalism club grow after this event..

“Club Rush really helped get the word out about Journalism,” said Merenda. “I’m happy to say that we have grown into a pretty cool diverse group–with kids involved in pretty much every sport and organization across campus. Of course, now we have a whole lot more groups taking off.”

If you are a chess wiz you can join the Chess club. If you are really into Star Wars and want to dress up like Chewbacca, join the Star Wars club. If you want to go hiking and get mauled by a bear (just joking) join the Outdoor Adventure club. There are so many different types of clubs for so many different types of students. I myself signed up for as many clubs as I could.

The president of the Outdoor Adventure club, Brandon Carvalho, had this to say, “Come join the Outdoor Adventure club, dummy,” Carvalho gets right to the point.

Our high school has given us this amazing opportunity to be with people who share the same kinds of interests. I’m kind of upset that they decided to start this whole new program my senior year. I don’t get to experience this new way of meeting people like you freshman, sophomores, and juniors.

Don’t let this opportunity go to waste. Do all that you can do in the years you have left at Linden High school. Don’t leave here wishing you had done more.