New Additions to the Linden Staff

Introducing LHS's newest teachers: Natalie Stevano, Dirk Olson, and Shelby Yamamoto

Sara Zanini

Sara Zanini

Sara Zanini, Staff writer

For the 2017-2018 school year, there are three new teachers at Linden High School. Although we lost three great teachers last year (Hadley from the English Department, Hagan from the Physical Ed Department, and Dyk from the Agricultural department), we gained three teachers who are equally as passionate about their work. Dirk Olson is the new freshman/sophomore English teacher, Shelby Yamamoto is the P.E. teacher, and Natalie Stevano is the Ag Science teacher.

Sara Zanini
Stop by to see Mr. Olsen in room 18 this year!

Dirk Olson has been teaching for 18 years. He decided to start teaching because he wanted to do something interesting where he could affect the futures of others in a positive way. His goal is to give his students a basic understanding of writing and skills that will help them obtain employment and communicate with others.

Olson holds both a multiple subject and single subject credentials. Before Linden he taught in Lodi for a year. He believes his past teaching experience gives him the ability to properly plan and execute lessons.

His teaching philosophy is to “embrace different groups of students and incorporate their experiences into lessons.”

Along with his teaching career, Olson is also a licensed phlebotomist. He likes the family-like atmosphere of the small community of Linden and wants everyone to know that “what you do now impacts what you do in the future.”

Mrs. Stevano showing her school spirit on Band T-shirt Day!

Natalie Stevano is an agriculture teacher and has been teaching for 18 years. She wants to be a positive influence on her students, as well as encourage them to seek and try what they have a passion for.

Before Linden, Stevano taught at Gregori High School in Modesto for 6 years. Though originally from Lake Isabella, California, she moved to Linden in 2007 when she married her husband John. Stevano’s mother-in-law, JoAnn Bertoli, was Lindens very first homecoming queen, in 1962. Outside of teaching, she loves NASCAR.

Stevano’s teaching philosophy is “everyone is different, so just be patient and kind.” Her favorite part about being a teacher is seeing a student finally grasp a subject and get excited about it. She loves working in a place where she is familiar with how the community runs.

Along with being familiar with Linden she just loves how small the town is and how close the people are. Stevano is excited to help and give back to her community.

Yamamoto snowboarding!

Shelby Yamamoto is a first year teacher (at Linden and in general). She wanted to do something that would give her a purpose, and since she is an athletic person she believed teaching P.E. would give her the outlet she wanted to motivate others to be healthy and have fun through physical activity.

Growing up she was a farmer’s daughter and even worked clearing fields for three years. Outside of work she enjoys going to music festivals.  

Her teaching philosophy is a quote by John Wooden: “Success is peace of mind, which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best you are capable of becoming.”

Yamamoto says she has never been part of anything where the staff are more caring and involved than Linden High. She wants everyone at Linden to know “you are not better than anyone else, but you are just as good.”