Band finishes fall marching season under new drum major

Back to Article
Back to Article

Trinity Wicklund, Secretary, Page Editor

October 19th marked the end of yet another marching season for the Linden High School Band and Color Guard under new Drum Major, senior Olivia Gideon and Assistant Drum Major, junior Justine Louie.

LHS Marching Band & Color Guard

“This year has been very challenging musically,” says Band Director Heather Small. “we had to put the show together right at the beginning of the year and the students put it together very well.  I am looking forward to a great concert season and rest of year.”

Louie has been a part of the band since her freshman year in the 2016-17 school year.  She finally decided to audition for assistant drum major this last May and has been an amazing student role model ever since.

“Justine has really stepped up this year and blossomed into her new position.” says Small.

Gideon has been a part of the band since her freshman year in the 2015-16 school year and followed in her older brother Lawrence’s footsteps by auditioning to become Drum Major.  She ended up being Assistant Drum Major last year and was promoted to Drum Major for the 2018-19 school year.

“Olivia’s been an outstanding student leader and I look forward to continuing to watch her shine,” says Small.

She spent the season up on a podium conducting for the band as they marched on the field performing their James Bond half-time Show.  On the last game of the season all of the seniors took one final bow led by Gideon to say goodbye to the marching season.

The band is currently practicing for their upcoming performance this Friday, November 9th at the Stockton Heat hockey game.  They will be playing before and during the game and hope to see many Linden faces in the crowd.

Left, Assistant DM Justine Louie, Right, Drum Major Olivia Gideon