Editorial: ‘Yes’ on Measure G

A+community+member+shows+support+for+Measure+G.+
A community member shows support for Measure G.

Trinity Wicklund

Trinity Wicklund

RJ Moore, Staff Writer

I support Measure G.  Unfortunately, it’s normal for someone to not want to use our school’s restrooms because, in the cruel reality we are faced with here at Linden High, they are just that disgusting. It’s also normal for dust to find itself in the eyes of  Track and Cross Country runners while they practice in the spring, and for no regular track meets to be held at our school because our track doesn’t meet official requirements.

Measure G is a comprehensive and complex plan placed on the ballot in the form of a bond by the Linden Unified School District to modernize school facilities for the more than 2,000 students district-wide. The comprehensive bond will spread across all seven campuses and upgrade facitilities to numerous outdated, educational and administrative facilities. The Measure, thought incredibly expensive, will ensure that students, teachers and staff have access to a safe and dynamic learning environment.

One thing is very obvious: change and renovation are drastically needed around district facilities. Structures need repair, and the school needs to be more secure. Bond Measure G is going to help ensure this, and all sectors of the high school will be revitalized and improved. For most high school athletics, the bond will be considered an impetus for advancement. For athletics, some capital projects include an all-weather track, 14 articles of lighting for Sports Events, a replacement for the Stadium bleachers, and a pool scoreboard for the Swim Team. Hans Frey, captain of the Cross Country and Soccer teams says, “I think there’s nothing but upside and excitement for the improvements to our athletic facilities. Personally, I think that our programs have been held back by a lack of resources and ability to repair fields and perform to our best ability on subpar fields.”

One of the capital projects under the District’s plans for Linden High School includes a much needed all-weather track. There are a multitude of advantages that come with an all-weather track. They require an exceptional amount of low maintenance; an all-weather track would ease the job for our district’s hard-working indefatigable janitorial crew (the same people who work to clean and improve our disgusting, hellish restrooms). Paved dirt roads or asphalt running tracks are more likely to cause stress fractures and similar injuries to the athletes because the hard surface puts excessive pressure on the leg muscles, bones, and tendons, which does not happen with the softer surface of the rubber track. If the bond goes through, and if an all-weather track is actually implemented here at the high school, everyone would benefit, especially those involved in sports. Hans Frey includes, “If measure G passes, there is nothing but good that will come to the school.”

It’s noted that upgrades in facilities might even spark something within students. “With the all-weather track, I see them [The Track and Field Team] holding more meets with the incredible support in the community, drawing more people, and drawing more student attendance into the program.” Upgrades to facilities won’t just impact students. The upgrades will impact the entire community of Linden, too. For example, on the Measure G Facebook page, “Did you know that the community pool is in a state of disrepair due to a lack of available funding for major deferred maintenance? This causes the pool pump to run 20 hours a day in order to ensure proper water quality.” Measure G might be able to stop this, because it is addressed in Measure G. Linden is a small community, and summer swims at the high school might just make all the difference for memory making.

In the realm of technological improvements here at Linden High School, the bond will include 62 new projectors, 62 new projector screens, and 1 audio visual system.

For us at the high school, the campus might start to look a little different, too. The 11,679 sq-footage worth of portable classrooms is currently outlined in the district’s comprehensive Faculty Needs Assessment Project Costs, as is a foreseeable renovation for the ancient East Gym, as well as eight orders of new drinking fountains. The latter is listed as critical, for they are all in bad shape. And we cannot forget about the bathrooms that everyone (who isn’t constantly vandalizing them) dreads. Measure G will fund a renovation for all of them, and this includes ADA upgrades for disabled students and faculty.

Measure G truly will encourage “Greater Schools” and a “Greater Community” to go with it. Modernization might just be the answer. If the pools are from the 1960s, and the irrigation systems throughout the elementary schools are outdated (Waverly’s is considered critical and from the 1980s) then it is safe to assume that a lot of the things we’ve grown up with here in the Linden community are in desperate need of modernization and revision. It’s time we welcome change and a shift into the 21st century with leniency, even if everything but the Chromebooks are eighteen years too late.

Don’t forget to Vote Yes on Measure G on November 6! Your vote will count and your voice will be heard.

“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”
― Mahatma Gandhi