Should schools arm teachers with guns to protect kids?

October 3, 2018

Yes, they should.

Lately, in the mainstream media, discussion of gun control and safety of the general public is a concern.  Conservative speakers suggest that schools would be much safer if teachers are allowed to to carry firearms at school in order to protect students in  case they find themselves in a situation where there is an active shooter on campus.

The idea of arming teachers on campus is very complicated.  It is not like “Here is your gun, have fun.” Of course, the government would provide mental health assessments that would determine if the teacher is sane enough to handle a weapon around minors, and they would receive NRA firearm training to be properly prepared in case such skills were ever necessary to put into practice.  Where an active shooter or threat is on campus, teachers would be trained to deal with the situation, as well as to use the type of firearm that the government would provide to the teacher as well (most likely a .40 caliber handgun like the police use).

Where would we get the funding? The federal government or state would initially pay around  $100,000 for firearms, firearm training for a day, and a mental assessment as well; for about 50 teachers and in the following years around $50,000. Or on the other hand, we could spend federal aid ranging around $20-50 million for each school shooting.

Our more liberal thinking friends believe if we arm teachers, maybe the teachers would have mental illnesses and turn on and shoot the students. However, we have mental assessments and background checks for a reason.

But what if we have a gun-free zone sign that would prevent people from entering in with guns? Then we wouldn’t need to arm teachers. Well, when was the last time you saw a school shooter saying, “Oh man, the sign says ‘gun free zone.’ …guess I can’t shoot anymore.” In that case it has never happened.

But what if we just have more gun control and suppress gun ownership? Well, people are able to find ways to either manufacture homemade weapons at home or be able to obtain a firearm illegally from somewhere else.
America has a mental health issue as well as a corruption issue, guns are to be the least of our problems.